Alan is a member of Johnston Barton's Litigation Practice Group. Although he has experience in several different areas of litigation, he focuses on products liability and business litigation.
Alan has been an integral part of the firm's defense of pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers since he first entered the practice of law. Alan has a wealth of experience in both mass tort and single-plaintiff cases. Whether it is defeating plaintiffs' attempts to anchor cases in state court, obtaining summary judgment, or exploring paths to early resolution, Alan has achieved success in a variety of contexts in pharmaceutical and medical device litigation. Alan's products practice has also included representation of manufacturers, distributors, and other sellers of firearms, cosmetic products, balers, sawmill equipment, propane tanks, sewer vacuum trucks, gas and electric appliances, and computer software. Alan currently serves as web editor for the Products Liability Committee of the ABA's Section of Litigation.
For several years, Alan has also devoted a substantial portion of his practice to defending banking clients in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and class action litigation involving various instruments of public finance, including revenue warrants, interest rate swaps, and swap options. Also, he recently secured the voluntary dismissal of a putative TILA class action against an MBS trust.
Alan currently co-chairs the firm's task force on the CARD Act and emerging card law. Separately, he has monitored select initiatives by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to protect clients' interests, including the proposed rules for new servicing standards.
Alan is a graduate of the University of North Florida (B.B.A. – Corporate Finance, magna cum laude, 1999), and The University of Alabama School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2003), where he was an Articles Editor for the Alabama Law Review.
- Cahaba River Society, Chair of Tributary Board
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Products Liability Committee, Website Co-Chair
- Meritas Leadership Institute, Class of 2011-2012
- Alabama Citizens for Constitutional Reform, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Chair of Litigation Committee, 2007-2009
- Super Lawyers™ Rising Star, 2012
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Co-author of Alabama section of 50-State Survey on Plaintiff's Medical Care and Treatment- Discovery and Evidentiary Issues, Products Liability Committee, ABA Section of Litigation (2010).
- Co-author of Alabama section of Federal Jurisdiction Based on Removal: A 50-State Survey, Products Liability Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2009).
- Co-author of Alabama section of Consumer Class Action 50-State Survey, Products Liability Committee, ABA Section of Litigation (2008).
- Co-author of Alabama section of Update on Punitive Damages Claims: A 50-State Survey, Products Liability Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2007).
- Co-author of Alabama section of The Reporter’s Privilege Compendium, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (2007).
- Co-author of the Alabama and Mississippi sections of State Warnings Liability Survey, Products Liability Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2006).
- Co-author of Alabama section of Open Government Guide, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (2006).